Saturday, June 4, 2011

Tandoori-style chicken and potatoes.

I have told you before that I have been on an Indian cooking bender. I made a big batch of ginger-garlic paste pretty much every recipe in the book I have calls for and am determined to use it all up.

So I made chicken. With potatoes. And two raitas (which I might tell you about some other time - one with cucumbers and mint and the second one with garlic and spinach). I am still a little shy when it comes to adding spices to my food which is why the raitas are more of a side dish/salad than a requirement. I am working on that. But it might take a little while.

When I started this blog I didn't expect to feature a lot of meat. I am not a big meat eater. My husband is. When I create my meal plans, I make sure to add one to two dishes including meat. Otherwise this might be a vegetarian and baking blog.

(Do you see how I am bringing you main dishes? With pictures! It was a little coincidental, but not surprising, that the moment I pulled everything out of the oven my husband answered an important call. Which made me wait. And gave me the opportunity to snap a picture.)

Tikka Style Chicken with Potatoes.

What I love most about this book is it's simplicity. Dishes are fast and easy and by the time dinner is ready the dishes I used to prepare it  are already clean again. Oh, and did I say, that the stuff is really good too?

You take some potatoes, some chicken, some spices, marinate everything and then bake it in the oven. Done.

So here you go:
Tandoori-Style Chicken and potatoes
Adapted from "healthy Indian"


4 medium potatoes, thickly sliced
8 skinless chicken drumsticks (MM: I used 5 drumsticks and 3 thighs, skins on, not knowing how much we'd eat and had 2 thighs left over. It was enough marinade for it all.) 

Marinade:
1 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste*
1/2 teaspoon chili powder (adjust to your liking and the spice level of your chili)
1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
1 teaspoon garam masala
2 tablespoons lemon juice
2 tablespoons neutral oil (MM: I used a little more, to be sure to have enough marinade for all the chicken)
salt, to taste

Line two baking sheets with foil (I used non sticking baking sheets and omitted the foil).
Make the marinade by combining all the marinade ingredients in a large mixing bowl.
Dip the potatoes in the marinade and arrange in a single layer on one of the baking sheets. Add the chicken to the marinade, coat the chicken throughly and let stand for 15 minutes.

Preheat the oven to 220°C (425°F).

Arrange the chicken on the second baking sheet and cover with aluminum foil.
Bake the chicken and the potatoes in the oven for 20 to 25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through and the potatoes are golden brown.
Midway through the baking time, turn the chicken to make sure it browns evenly (I waited until 3/4 of the time was up which is why my chicken was a little too brown for my taste on one side). I removed the foil 5 minutes before it was done to help with the browning.

Serve.

*Ginger-garlic paste is easy to make and can be stored in the fridge or freezer. You will need one part fresh ginger to one and a half parts garlic. Don't peel the ginger, just scrape it with a knife. Peel the garlic and give it a rough chop. Combine garlic and ginger in a blender with a few tablespoons of water and puree it to a smooth paste.

No comments:

Post a Comment