Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Spaghetti with shrimp and chile.

I am hesitant to share this recipe with you. Because while it was a delicious dinner my husband raved and raved about - and even took the leftovers with him to work, something he never does otherwise - I didn't feel good about using shrimp.


Most of the time I consider myself an environmental conscious eater. There are certain foods I wouldn't touch - mostly of animal origin - because the species are endangered or the way they were farmed is questionable (for a quick overview read here). The majority of seafood falls under this category. It's also partly the reason I don't ever prepare fish (and besides, almost every Friday for lunch, my mother in law serves up fish).


I made this dish anyway. I made it because the post-it in the cookbook was placed there by my husband and he loves everything seafood related.
For the future, however, I am considering using chicken instead (much to my husbands dismay). Or, now that I think of it, if I could get my hands on properly firm tofu, I would even give that a try.


Pasta with Shrimps.


Spaghetti with Shrimp and Chile
very loosely adapted from "Nigella Express"


I made several changes including the amount of shrimp, the reduction of the sun dried tomatoes and I swapped spinach for the suggested arugula because I couldn't find any.
The below recipe reflects those changes.


1 lb. fresh shrimp (thawed if you're using frozen)
salt
3/4 lb. spaghetti
1/4 cup finely diced onions (I cut them "French style")
1/2 teaspoon crushed chile flakes (I used fresh chiles and therefore cannot give you advice - chiles vary in spiciness)
1 glove of garlic, finely minced
2 Tablespoons of olive oil
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes packed in oil
1/2 cup white wine or Noilly Prat
A generous two handfuls of spinach (yes, this is as precise as I can get because that's what I did.)
Chopped flat-leaf parsley


1. Drain the shrimp and set it aside.
2. Cook your pasta according to the package instructions in an copious amount of salted water. 
3. In a large pan (large enough to later also fit the pasta) fry the onions, chile and garlic in the olive for a couple of minute, then add the tomatoes with their oil and the shrimp. 
4. When both have warmed up and the shrimp are starting to take on some color, add the white wine or Noilly Prat and let it come to a boil. Add the spinach and stir until wilted a little.
5. When the pasta is ready strain it, reserve about a cup of the cooking water and add the pasta to the pan. 
6. Toss everything well, adding more cooking liquid if necessary and sprinkle with the parsley.
7. Serve immediately.


According to Nigella this dish serves four as a starter, two as a main course.

No comments:

Post a Comment