Monday, March 21, 2011

Oat Soda Bread.

I consider baking bread to be one of the essentials of baking.
And there really isn't much more satisfying than pulling your own loaves out of the oven. Well, maybe slicing it up, smearing butter on top and sprinkling it with good salt.


At the same time, bread intimidates me. The yeast makes it a somehow unpredictable and with all the rising and proofing, it's not a quick task. There isn't much to do actively, and yet you are committing longer stretches of time for a single loaf of bread.
In case you are wondering: I am not really impatient, I can work for hours on something. It's the checking on the rising repeatedly and the unpredictability of yeast that puts me off.
Another reason why I haven't done more bread baking: I live (still) in Germany, the country of the sourdough bread and, though they are slowly being replaced by the commercial bakeries, one can still find exceptional good bread around town without much trouble - why make it at home?!

I made this bread for four reasons:


It contains buttermilk and what we had at home needed to be used up.
I wanted to convince my mother oats can be tasty in bread (yes, she doesn't believe that.).
It doesn't contain yeast and is therefore quickly put together.
I will be living in Jordan soon and they don't have this kind of bread - the moist inside with a crunchy outside, topped with seeds kind. So I might as well get some practice.


Oat Soda Bread.


This bread is amazingly easy. It takes about 10min to be put together of which the making of oat flour in the food processor is the fussiest step.
The list of ingredients include: Flour, oats, Baking Soda, salt and buttermilk.

Oat Soda Bread.

Because I didn't have unbleached all purpose flour I used whole wheat flour for 3.5 ounces of the 10 ounces of flour and bleached all purpose flour for the rest.
Before it gets baked, the bread is brushed with buttermilk and sprinkled with seeds - I used white and black sesame.
It took about 45 minutes to bake (in my oven) and looks just gorgeous.
It's a dense and heavy kind of bread, slightly sweet from the oats. I wished it was a little more moist. 


I imagine it to be great, toasted in the morning with fresh butter and some jam.

Oat Soda Bread.

The recipe can be found here and comes from the very talented Heidi Swanson of 101cookbooks.com.


1 comment:

  1. Honestly, nothing beats french butter on home made bread!

    ReplyDelete