Friday, March 18, 2011

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.

I am not big on eating muffins. Or cupcakes for that matter. 
I love cake. Sometimes cookies but I am being particular about the texture but rarely muffins because the commercial muffins resemble cake too much but without the frosting. 
They are often huge, dense and dry. Same with cupcakes which often drown in a sea of overly sweet frosting. It's all about balance at the end of the day.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.

And yet, when I had the chance to bake - for the first time in weeks - I set out to make muffins. 
I had thought of this particular combination for weeks after I cleaned out the pantry and found a bag of poppy seeds. 
We had buttermilk in the fridge and a lemon in the fruit bowl. Everything fell into place and the muffins took no time to be ready.


When I bit into the first one, it was like love at first sight. 
They are not too sweet, very light, like a pillow. But the bit of sugar that gets sprinkled on the top just right before baking makes it crunchy. 
It's the perfect afternoon muffin with a cup of coffee. 
I omitted the coffee in the afternoon and had five of these instead. Judge me if you want - they are this good.
You might want to consider eating them all right after baking too. While the flavors are still fine the next day - light and fragrant lemon that isn't overpowering - the texture changes and they soften up and become a little more dense without being dry.

The original recipe comes from "Baking from my Home to yours" by Dorie Greenspan and I found it via Joy the Baker and you can find it here.
The changes I made: I added an extra spoonful of poppy seeds and didn't brown the butter. It's just not something I care about.
Oh, and I didn't make the glaze. I am lazy like that - and the muffins really don't need it.

Lemon Poppy Seed Muffins.

No comments:

Post a Comment